The Palestinian Non-governmental Organizations Network (PNGO), marked on Sunday the 74 anniversary of the Palestinian people's refuge problem, known as the Nakba (Catastrophe).
In a special petition, signed by PNGO alongside one hundred CSOs across the oPt, PNGO asserted on the Palestinian people's right to return to historical towns and villages in Palestine, based on United Nations General Assembly resolution, 194, dated 1949.
In the petition, titled 'The Return Appeal', PNGO called for holding the Israeli occupation accountable for the Nakba, ending what PNGO terms Israel's apartheid regime and ensuring protection for the Palestinian people, following 74 years of Israeli occupation that started back in 1948.
Given the Palestinian people's strong conviction of its inalienable national rights to return back to the Palestinian homeland and self-determination, as well as national independence on a fully-sovereign state, with Jerusalem as its capital, we are marking the Palestinian Nakba anniversary for this year", the petition made clear.
It also rejected all forms of Israeli occupation assaults on the Palestinian people including the colonial settlement policies that have so far increasingly Judaized the city of Jerusalem, demolition of Palestinian homes, some other collective punitive measures and the deliberate repression of all Palestinian political prisoners.
“In harmony with the national roles of tens of local society organizations, as well as the national aspirations of the Palestinian people, across the occupied Palestinian territories, PNGO emphasizes on the need for lifting the oppression, which the Palestinian people has endured since 1948. Over the past 74 years, the Israeli occupation has committed tens of massacres at the hands of Zionist gangs, against innocent Palestinian children, women and elderly, within the occupation's attempts to obliterate the Palestinian people's identity, legacy and civilization", maintained the petition.
The petition outlined the following steps, to be taken immediately by all free nations around the globe, for the support of the Palestinian people:
- Accelerating implementation of the UN's resolution 194 that allows all Palestinian refugees to return back to their hometowns and villages, from which they were expelled back in 1948, and grant Palestinians the right to compensate for decades of loss and deprivation.
- The United Nations carry on the responsibility to assure the continuation of the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Refugees "UNRWA" and to stop all attempts to reduce its services and end its role within the efforts to cancel the right of return, and the settlement projects that are being promoted.
- Demanding the United Nations to take all necessary steps and measures for immediately holding the occupation's state accountable for all the crimes, the latter has so far committed against the Palestinian people, within strict legal means that would not allow the occupation's criminals to evade interrogation or possible trials. For this purpose, the UN should uncover the terrorist face of the “state of Israel” and start imposing sanctions and divestment, along with boycotting it.
- Ensuring legal protection for the Palestinian people, until the Israeli occupation of Palestinian lands comes to an end and the Palestinian people can practice its right to self-determination, and exposing the continuing occupation crimes against people.
- Working on ending the current apartheid regime, imposed by the occupying Israeli power, across the occupied Palestinian territories, challenging all racist Israeli policies and ending the Israeli occupation of all Palestinian lands, occupied by Israel in 1967, and securing the right of return for all Palestinian refugees as an affirmation of the unity of the Palestinian people wherever they are.
Below is a list of all Palestinian non- governmental organizations that signed PNGO's petition:
ADDAMEER Prisoner Support and Human Rights Association, Women’s Studies Centre, Center for Defence of Liberties and Civil Rights, Teacher Creativity Center, Land Research Center, The Palestinian Working Women Society, Arab Agronomists Association, Defence for Children International – Palestine, Arab center for Agricultural Development (ACAD) /Ramallah – Gaza, Palestinian Agricultural Development Association, MUSAWA - The Palestinian Center for the Independence of the Judiciary and the Legal Profession, Economic and Social Development Center of Palestine, Alrowwad Cultural & Arts Society, The Applied Research Institute / Jerusalem – ARIJ, Palestinian Center Peace and Democracy, Raseel Charitable Association, Palestinian Farmers Union, Al-Awda Center for Childhood and the Youth, Bisan Center - Research and Development Studies, Psychosocial Counselling Center for Women, Union of Agricultural Work Committees, Sareyyet Ramallah, Treatment and Rehabilitation Center for Victims of Torture, Ma'an Development Center, Rural Women Development Society, Democracy and Workers’ Rights Center, Women's Center for Legal aid and Counselling, Arab Women Union Society, Alsaraya Center for Community Services, The Society of St. Yves, The Cultural Forum Center -Jerusalem, The Palestinian Women’s Development Center, Wassel Cultural Center, Khalil Sakakini Cultural Center, Mothers School Society, Al-Haq, The Eastern Association for Agriculture, Al-Taghreed Society for Culture and Art, Community Media Center, Center for Women Legal Research and Counsulting, Tamer Institute for community Education / Gaza, The Society of Women Graduates in Gaza Strip, Society of Remedial Education center, Youth Development Foundation, Al-Dameer Association for Human Rights –Gaza, ADWAR - Roles for Social Change Association, Al Najda Social Association, Fares Al Arab for Development and Charity Work, National Society for Rehabilitation, Al-Mezan Center for Human Rights, Palestinian Developmental Women Studies Association, Culture and Free Thought Association, Aisha Association for Woman and Child Protection, Womens Affairs Center, Al Ataa' Charitable Society, Union of Palestinian Working Women's Committees, Creative Women Association, The Union Of Palestine Women Committees, WATC Affairs Woman, ALFoukhary Rural Development Association, Alanqaa Society for Social Development, Palestinian Physiotherapy Association, AL Tawasol Forum Society, Abdel Shafi Community Health Association, Alwaleed Charity Association, Forsan Al-Ghad Youth Association, Zakher Association for Developing Women Capacities, Milad Association for Youth Capacity Development, AMWAJ Association For Community Development and Improvement, Ghassan Kanafani Development, Future Association for Development and Environment, Palestinian Higher Council for Childhood and Motherhood, Afaq Jadeeda Association, General Syndicate of Agriculture and Food Processing, Al Jaleel Society for Care and Community Based Rehabilitation the Charity, Palestinian Medical Relief Society, Central Blood Bank Society, Dr.Haider Abdel Shafi Center, Burj Alluqluq Social Center Society, ,kotof El-Khair Association, Ro'ya Association For Development Abilities, Gaza Urban Agriculture Platform GUPAP, El Wedad Society, Science and Culture Center, THE Palestinian Federation of Women's Action Committees, Al-Najda Social Association , The National Society for Democracey and Law, Atfaluna Society for Deaf Children – Gaza, The Assembly Benevolent of Operation, Palestinian Counceling Center , Al Nahda Association for Development and Grouwth, Beit Lahiya Youth Center, Baraem Al Amal and Love Association, CHILDRENS CANCER SOCIETY, Al-Zahraa Association for the Development of Women and Child, Al Sattar Garbee Association for Developing Countryside and Farmer, Al Lid Charity Development Association, Palestinian Al-Nakheel Association for progress and development , Rescue Association for Development