MÉDICOS DEL MUNDO – SPAIN
Needs to fill the position of a
Social Worker in Gaza
Job Title: Social Worker
Job Location: Gaza City - Gaza Strip
Contract duration: 12 months with the possibility of extention
Deadline: November, 17, 2022
Médicos del Mundo-Spain (MdM-S), is an international humanitarian organization, working to make effective the Universal Right to Health. MdM is a non-profitable, non-governmental, non-political and non-confessional organization operating under the principles of humanity, neutrality, impartiality and independence.
The purpose of MdM-S is to provide access to health care services, assist in the health needs of the most vulnerable population, denounce the violations of human rights, promote social mobilization and advocate for social and political changes.
MdM-S has been working in the oPt since 2006. Its work has been oriented to Mental Health and Psychosocial support (MHPSS), and Primary Healthcare. In the Gaza Strip, MdM-S strategy aims the improvement of mental health and wellbeing of children and adolescents. This intervention is focused on the strengthening of governmental children and adolescent’s mental health services, and community organizations working with children and adolescents through a capacity building approach. This includes training activities and materials and equipment’s provision.
The objective of this position is to is to support and supervise protection – Gender-Based Violence (GBV) and Child Protection (CP) focused on Mental Health and Psychosocial Support, deliver training on developmental problems and disorders of children and adolescents, to elaborate tools, protocols and best practices, to carry out assessments, surveys, supervision sessions to health, mental health and education professionals, conduct research, to participate of the humanitarian system and develop networking based on MdM-S methodology.
GEOGRAPHICAL SCOPE OF INTERVENTION:
Gaza Strip. The position will be based in Gaza City, with frequent visits along the whole Gaza Strip.
Direct supervision by the Psychosocial Coordinator, under the overall operational supervision of the Field Manager. Technical components will be under guidance and indirect supervision of the Country MHPSS Coordinator.
- Adapt existing tools, lead and implement assessment sessions for needs detection, key informant interviews, focus group discussions with professionals and key community members, mapping resources, through accurate receipt of qualitative and quantitative data.
- Organize and implement capacity building activities on protection, gender-based violence and child protection, focused on mental health and psychosocial support.
- Design pedagogic tools and tailored training on Protection, GBV and child protection, focused on Mental Health and Psychosocial topics for health, mental health and education professionals, including partner and civil society staff members.
- Design tools and implement case management and supervision sessions with trained on GBV and child protection field professionals.
- Design, elaborate and adapt protocols based on updated knowledge on protection and MHPSS.
- Identify best practices, lessons learnt, limitations and recommendations for the future.
- Support in the development of research.
- Contribute in the design communication materials and support technically advocacy actions.
- Support in the elaboration of Standard Operative Procedures, e.g., the protection component within the child MHPSS referral system.
- Implement and contribute to develop quality assurance measures and tools.
- Support on GBV/child protection and MHPSS programming and drawing up new ideas for project proposals.
- Contribute to the elaboration of project proposals.
- Assist in the analysis of the data collected and reports both quantitatively and qualitatively.
- Contribute to elaborate monthly situation reports and mid-term donor reports.
- Continuously assess monitor and evaluate projects’ needs.
- Contribute to the preparation of projects activities and annual budgets.
- Elaboration of internal and externals (donors, cluster, governmental institutions) reports.
- Participate in project technical justification.
- Implementation and regularly update of the project intervention database(s).
- When requested, participate in relevant platforms/networks/clusters focused on protection/MHPSS theme.
- Contributes to establish and maintain collaborative relationships within Social Development and Mental Health System and with other key partners and organizations, including services providers.
- Coordination with staff from other MdM chapters, INGOs, NGOs and CBOs.
- Collect information to support advocacy activities that follow the advocacy line of the organization.
- Perform additional duties on request of the Psychosocial Coordinator, FM, Mental Health Advisor and General Coordinator.
- Translate verbally and written from Arabic to English and from English to Arabic when necessary.
- Represent MdM-S in networks/clusters focused on GBV/MHPSS theme upon request of his/her supervisor.
- To attend MdM-S team meetings and to give qualitative input.
- To prepare, if necessary, contingency plans with the MdM-S team.
- To elaborate articles about the MdM interventions
Academic / Professional background:
- Bachelor degree in Social Work or equivalent.
- Preferable to have a knowledge of current GBV and Child Protection principles and practices in (post) conflict areas.
- Training on pedagogic methodologies or communication skills are assets.
- A minimum of 3 years of progressive professional experience in the relevant field is required.
- Previous working experience with local NGOs or INGO in similar position, preferably in MHPSS projects and/or community intervention.
- Experience in developing and conducting needs/vulnerability assessments and previous participation in beneficiary selection processes, and case management.
- Experience in Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) programs.
- Experience in collaborating with staff from MoH, MoEHE, MoSD and civil society organizations.
- Previous experience in community engagement and participatory approaches.
- Good knowledge in Protection issues
- Excellent Communication skills
- Previous experience providing trainings or facilitating staff capacity building activities and supervision sessions.
- Ability to cope with difficult security context.
- Ability to communicate sensitively and assertively with MdM target groups.
- Ability to draft standard and clear written communication, such as letters and reports.
- Excellence in organizing, planning and prioritizing tasks.
- Coordination ability to perform his/her duties as part of a team.
- Task independency but also open to receive feedback and technical support.
- Ability to identify strengths/weaknesses, proposing solutions for the improvement of the services provided.
- Ability to provide trainings. Familiarity with creative methodologies will be considered.
- Culturally sensitive, respectful attitude and collaborative approach to diversity
- Proven sense of professional discretion, integrity, and ability to work in an international environment.
- Resilient, empathetic and with affective responsibility.
Microsoft Office Package (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook).
Medicos del Mundo’s Salary charts will apply.
The compensation package total is from 63,060 ILS to 72,191 ILS gross / year divided in 12 payments and based on experience. In addition, MdM Spain covers a transportation allowance for the staff.
People interested in the position must send their resume or CV with 2 references in English to [email protected] before 17/11/2022
Please indicate in the email subject the job title: Social Worker – Gaza
Applications that fail to abide by the Submission guidelines will not be considered.
MdM Spain will contact only pre-selected candidates by email. Applications unanswered within 15 days after deadline must be considered dismissed.
The position will be filled as soon as a suitable candidate is identified.
“Medicos del Mundo stands for equal opportunities for everyone. We establish positive action measures for those who, due to functional or social diversity and/or cultural exclusion, belong to groups that are underrepresented in the positions we offer. Therefore, no candidate with a valid profile will be rejected for functional diversity or for being culturally or socially excluded due to birth, ethnicity, sex, gender or any other personal, social, or cultural condition”.